Thursday, May 19, 2011

1

Once upon a time, I had a blog. In 2008, amidst a bout of Obama-mania, I began publishing my thoughts on that year's election. I wasn't too sure anyone was reading what I was writing, but I didn't care. I just needed to let it out, like a super nerdy, totally public diary on politics.


Soon after, school (as it always should have) took precedence, and my posting rate slowed. I launched a tirade against the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the exclusion of The Dark Knight in the 81st Annual Academy Awards' Best Picture category, then let the blog lie dormant for maybe a year. After graduating, fearing that my fiery political rhetoric would raise some red flags for potential employers who decided to Google me, I deleted my blog. (Okay, the rhetoric wasn't embarrassing, but the bad writing was.)


I've been a college graduate now for five months. One day I'll find the job that will truly begin my career. It hasn't happened yet, and for the time being I'm happy to be slinging pizzas to make the bucks to make rent. What I'm not okay with is a feeling of intellectual atrophy. I'm done studying for tests and writing research papers, and you don't exactly have to be in Mensa to deliver pizza. My brain needs a workout, so this blog exists to keep my neurons firing.



Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment